The NielsenIQ group of companies (together, “NielsenIQ,” “we,” or “us”) cares about your privacy and is committed to handling your data in an open and transparent manner. This Privacy Notice explains how we will use, share, and protect the data that we collect or otherwise obtain about you when you use and interact with the Nielsen Consumer Panel mobile application (the “App”) and when we perform any activities that form part of the operation of the App. This Privacy Notice also describes your choices and legal rights in relation to such data. To learn more about the NielsenIQ group of companies, one or more of which may process your data, please click here.
Please note that this Privacy Notice applies only to data collected by us in connection with your use of and interaction with the App and through our performance of any activities that form part of the operation of the App. Other applications and websites, including applications and websites provided by entities within the NielsenIQ group of companies and websites that may be accessible via the App, are governed by their own privacy notices. We encourage you to review all applicable privacy notices before disclosing any data. Additionally, for details relating to the processing of your data in connection with your household’s participation in the NielsenIQ Consumer Panel (the “Panel”), we encourage you to review the privacy notice made available to you and your household by the entity within the NielsenIQ group of companies that operates the Panel in your country of residence.
Use of the App is voluntary. By downloading and installing the App on your mobile device, you agree that we can collect, use, disclose, and retain your data as described in this Privacy Notice. If you have any questions about this Privacy Notice or your data, please refer to the “Contact us” section below for our contact information.
Collection of your data
We may collect or otherwise obtain data relating to you, the mobile device that you use to access the App, and your use of the App in a variety of ways. The data that we collect or obtain may include personal data – data that alone or in combination with other data identifies you as an individual, such as your name, email address, mobile phone number, and other data that can be reasonably linked to you as an individual. Additional details about the data we may collect or otherwise obtain and the manner in which it is collected or obtained can be found below.
Data collected from you
As part of the Panel recruitment and registration process, we request data relating to you (and other members of your household), including your name, home address, telephone number, email address, and relevant demographic data. We use this data to create your user profile for the App and provide you with your login credentials.
When you use the App, we will collect data about you and your household that you provide to us, enable us to collect, or voluntarily post or upload, including your household’s purchase information; your responses to surveys that help us better understand your views, preferences (e.g., your favorite breakfast cereal brand), and/or purchasing habits (e.g., when, where, and/or how frequently you shop for groceries); and other information that you choose to share with us (e.g., periods of time when you and other members of your household will be away from home on holiday, business travel, etc.).
In some jurisdictions, certain data that you voluntarily share or disclose to us (e.g., in response to a survey question) may be considered “special” or “sensitive” personal data (e.g., data relating to your racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religious or other similar beliefs, or health or medical conditions). If we receive any “special” or “sensitive” personal data relating to you, we will, where necessary, obtain your explicit consent to use such data, and we will use it only in the ways described in this Privacy Notice or at the point where you choose to share or disclose this data as well as in accordance with applicable law.
Data collected in connection with your use of the App
Device data: We may collect standard technical data from and about the device that you use to access the App, including your unique device identifier, device manufacturer and model, operating system and version, and Media Access Control (MAC) address. We use this data for the purpose of determining and/or improving compatibility between your mobile device and the App as well as system administration.
Log and usage data: In order to help us improve our service, when you download and use the App, we automatically record and store certain data, such as your device’s Internet Protocol (IP) address, browser type and version, and browser language as well as the pages that you visit, the dates and timestamps associated with your visits and certain transactions, and the information and files that have been downloaded to the App.
Use of your data
The main reason we use your data is for the purpose(s) for which it was collected or provided to us (as stated above in the “Collection of your data” section or at the point of collection) or as otherwise obvious from the context of collection.
We may also use your data to:
- operate and manage the App and customize or personalize your user experience and the content that we deliver to you when you use the App;
- operate and manage our IT and security systems, including to monitor such systems and identify and respond to security events;
- communicate with you about the App, respond to your inquires and requests, and/or update/validate the data that we hold about you;
- contact you with information about our business, services, and events as well as other information that may be of interest to you (subject always to obtaining your prior opt-in consent to the extent required under applicable law);
- conduct research for quality assurance and product, service, and development purposes;
- facilitate our day-to-day operations and financial management as well as any corporate transactions (e.g., a reorganization, merger, sale, joint venture, assignment, transfer, etc.);
- prevent, investigate, take action regarding, or provide notice of fraud; unlawful/criminal activity and other misconduct; security/technical issues; or unauthorized access to/use of data, the App, or our data systems;
- protect the rights, property, operations, health, or safety of you, us, or others;
- enforce our agreements; comply with applicable laws and regulations; and establish, exercise, and/or defend our legal rights; and
- respond to subpoenas, court orders, or other legal process/requests and communications from law enforcement authorities or other government officials.
We will never use your personal data to advertise, promote, or market third-party goods or services to you. Additionally, we will not license, publish, or sell any personal data collected from or about you.
Legal basis for processing your personal data
Applicable law in your country of residence may require us to set out in this Privacy Notice the legal basis upon which we rely in order to process your personal data.
If you are based in the European Union (“EU”)/European Economic Area (“EEA”), we will process your personal data for the purposes outlined in this Privacy Notice based on one of more of the legal bases listed below in compliance with the EU General Data Protection Regulation 2016/679.
- Legitimate interests: We rely on our legitimate interests, provided that such interests shall not be overridden by your interests, fundamental rights, or freedoms. In particular, among other things, we may process your personal data in reliance on a legitimate interest in: (i) effectively and lawfully operating the App as well as the operation of our business and day-to-day affairs; (ii) communicating relevant information to you; (iii) conducting research and producing analyses; (iv) effectively delivering, developing, and improving our products and services; (v) managing, maintaining, and operating our IT and security systems; (vi) adequately protecting, defending, and safeguarding our networks; (vii) evaluating business and other corporate transactions; (viii) managing and enhancing protection against fraud, spam, harassment, intellectual property infringement, and risks to which we are exposed (e.g., crime and security risks); (ix) complying with laws and regulations to which we are subject, including, where applicable, laws and regulations of countries other than your country of residence; and (x) meeting our obligations and enforcing our legal rights.
- Consent: From time to time, we may ask for your consent to process your personal data for certain specific purposes. We will only rely on this legal basis in relation to processing that is entirely voluntary (i.e., not necessary or obligatory).
- Compliance with legal obligations: We may process your personal data if necessary for us to comply with a legal obligation arising under applicable law to which we are subject.
To the extent that we process any “special” or “sensitive” personal data relating to you, we will do so because either: (i) you have given us your explicit consent to carry out such processing; (ii) the processing is necessary for the establishment, exercise, or defense of legal claims; or (iii) you have made the data manifestly public.
If you have any questions or concerns about the legal basis upon which we collect and use your personal data, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Disclosures and transfers of your data
In connection with one or more of the purposes outlined above in the “Use of your data” section, your data may be disclosed to different entities within the NielsenIQ group of companies as well as:
● third-party service providers, including providers of the following services (among others): application hosting, management, or support; data analysis or processing; data backup; data security and storage; and product development (subject to binding contractual obligations of confidentiality and security);
● relevant third parties as part of a corporate transaction, such as a reorganization, merger, sale, joint venture, assignment, transfer, or other disposition of all or any portion of our business, assets, or stock (including in connection with any bankruptcy or similar proceeding);
● competent governmental and public authorities, in each case to comply with legal or regulatory obligations or requests or for the purposes of reporting any actual or suspected breach of applicable law; and
● other third parties as we believe necessary (e.g., in order to protect the rights, property, operations, health, or safety of you, us, or others) or appropriate for legal purposes (e.g., in connection with claims, disputes, or litigation or in order to enforce our legal rights).
The disclosures described above may result in the transfer of your personal data to countries or regions with data protection or privacy laws and regulations that differ from those in your country of residence. By providing us with your personal data and/or using the App, you are acknowledging that your personal data may be transferred to countries or regions outside of your country of residence. In cases where your personal data is transferred outside of your country of residence, we will ensure that there are adequate safeguards in place to protect your personal data.
Additional information for EU/EEA residents
If you are based in the EU/EEA and your personal data will be transferred to a country that has not been recognized by the European Commission as providing an adequate level of data protection, the safeguards put in place might include a data transfer agreement with the data recipient based on standard contractual clauses approved by the European Commission for transfers of personal data to countries not providing an adequate level of data protection. Alternatively, in certain circumstances, your personal data may be transferred on the basis of an applicable derogation or exemption. For further details relating to the transfers described above and the adequate safeguards used with respect to such transfers, please email us at email@example.com.
We understand the importance of protecting the privacy of minors, especially in the online and mobile environment. We will collect and use data about minors under the age of 18 (or the relevant age as determined by applicable law in your country of residence) only with the consent of their parent or legal guardian, and such consent may be withdrawn at any time. All data about both adults and minors of every age will be handled in accordance with this Privacy Notice.
We have in place reasonable organizational, technical, and administrative measures designed to protect your data from loss, misuse, and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, or destruction while it is under our control. However, please be aware that the storage and transfer of data cannot always be one-hundred percent secure.
We will retain your data in a form that permits identification only for as long as necessary for the fulfillment of the purposes set out in this Privacy Notice, unless a longer retention period is required under applicable law or is necessary in order to resolve disputes, protect our legal rights, or otherwise comply with our legal or professional obligations.
Your choices and legal rights
You have choices about how your personal data is handled. If at any time you wish to stop all data collection by the App, you can uninstall the App using the standard uninstall process for your mobile device.
We are also committed to providing you with reasonable access to your personal data and the ability to review and limit the use of such data in accordance with applicable law. Depending on your country of residence, under applicable law you may have the right to:
● request confirmation as to whether or not we are processing any of your personal data;
● request access to or copies of your personal data;
● request that we update or correct your personal data (e.g., if it is inaccurate or incomplete);
● propose restrictions on the ways in which we use your personal data (e.g., if we have no legal right to keep using it) or limit our use of your personal data (e.g., if your personal data is inaccurate or unlawfully held);
● object to our processing of your personal data;
● withdraw the consent that you have given us to process your personal data (where we process your personal data on the basis of your consent);
● request that your personal data be transferred to another organization in a structured, commonly used, and machine-readable format (to the extent applicable);
● request that we delete your personal data; and
● lodge a complaint with the data protection or privacy authority in your country of residence regarding our processing of your personal data.
If you are interested in exercising one or more of the rights described above, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Because we want to avoid taking action regarding your personal data at the direction of someone other than you, please note that we may request information verifying your identity before we can give effect to these rights.
Additional information for EU/EEA residents
If you have any questions or concerns about our collection or use of your personal data, you can contact our EU Data Protection Officer at email@example.com.
If you are unsatisfied with the way in which we have handled your personal data or any privacy query or request that you have raised to us, you also have a right to complain to the Data Protection Authority (“DPA”) in your country of residence or the country in which the issue that is the subject of your complaint occurred. To find the contact details of the appropriate DPA, please visit https://edpb.europa.eu/about-edpb/board/members_en.
Updates to this Privacy Notice
We may update and make changes to this Privacy Notice from time to time in light of changing business practices, technology, and/or legal requirements. When we make changes to this Privacy Notice, we will amend the “Effective Date” at the top of this page and such modified or amended Privacy Notice shall be effective as to you and your data as of that revision date.
The most current version of this Privacy Notice will always be available here. We encourage you to review this Privacy Notice periodically to remain informed about how we use and protect your data.
If you have any questions, comments, or concerns about this Privacy Notice or our data handling practices, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or write us at one of the addresses below.
If you reside in the EU/EEA, please write us at:
Oxford Business Park South
John Smith Drive
Oxford OX4 2WB
Attn.: Legal Dept.
If you reside in any country outside of the EU/EEA, please write us at:
200 W Jackson Blvd
Chicago, IL 60606
Attn.: Legal Dept.